MAHİR BİLEN CAN
Email: mcan @ tulane.edu
6823 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70118
- Algebraic Monoids, Group Embeddings, and Algebraic Combinatorics. Fields Institute Communications, Vol 71 (jointly edited with Zhenheng Li, Benjamin Steinberg, Qiang Wang).
- Clifford Lectures on Algebraic Groups. To appear in Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics series of the AMS.
I post most (but not all) of my papers on https://arxiv.org.
- Combinatorial models for the variety of complete quadrics (with Soumya D. Banerjee and Michael Joyce). Here is the previous version: pdf. (I am keeping the older version here because it contains some algorithms that might be useful for some purpose.)
- An analogue of Springer fibers in certain wonderful compactifications (joint with Roger Howe and Michael Joyce). To appear in Journal of Algebra and Its Applications.
- Monodromy of torus fibrations and decomposability problem (with Mustafa Topkara).
- Equivariant K-theory of smooth projective spherical varieties (with Soumya D. Banerjee).
- Complex G2 and associative grassmannian (with Selman Akbulut).
- Toroidal affine Nash groups.
Journal of Lie Theory 26 (2016), no. 4, 1069--1077.
- Wonderful symmetric varieties and Schubert polynomials (joint with Michael Joyce and Ben Wyser).
- A remarkable representation on file placements.
- Chains in weak order posets associated with involutions (with Michael Joyce and Ben Wyser).
Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series A 137 (2016), 207--225.
- Special embeddings of symmetric spaces and their Borel orbits (with Roger Howe and Lex Renner).
- Corrigendum to ''Generators of the Hecke algebra of (S_2n,B_n)'' (with S. Ozden).
- Divisors and specializations of Lucas polynomials (with Tewodros Amdeberhan and Melanie Jensen).
Journal of Combinatorics 6 (2015) no 1-2, 69--89
- Bruhat order on partial fixed point free involutions. (with Yonah Cherniavsky and Tim Twelbeck)
Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 21 (2014), no. 4, Paper 4.34, 23 pp.
- Branching through G2 (with Roger Howe)
Proceedings of the Gökova Geometry-Topology Conference 2013, 41--75, Gökova Geometry/Topology Conference (GGT), Gökova, 2014.
- Calculating Heegaard-Floer homology by counting lattice points in tetrahedra (with Çağrı Karakurt)
Acta Mathematica Hungarica 144 (2014), no. 1, 43--75.
- Lexicographic shellability of the Bruhat-Chevalley order on fixed point free involutions (with Yonah Cherniavsky and Tim Twelbeck)
Israel Journal of Mathematics 207 (2015) no. 1.281--299.
- Omitting Parentheses from the Cyclic Notation (with Yonah Cherniavsky)
Mediterranean Journal of Mathematics 12 (2015), no. 4, 1199--1214.
- Lexicographic shellability of partial involutions (with Tim Twelbeck)
Discrete Math. 335 (2014), 66--80.
- The Rook Monoid is Lexicographically Shellable. pdf
- SL_2-regular subvarieties of complete quadrics (with Michael Joyce)
Algebraic monoids, group embeddings, and algebraic combinatorics, 271--284, Fields Inst. Commun., 71, Springer, New York, 2014.
- Some plethystic identities and Kostka-Foulkes polynomials.
Ars Combinatoria 122 (2015), 411--421.
- Unipotent invariant matrices (with Roger Howe and Michael Joyce).
Linear Algebra and its Applications, 439 (2013), no.1, 196--210.
- Weak order on complete quadrics (with Michael Joyce)
Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 365 (2013), no. 12, 6269--6282.
- Ordered Bell Numbers, Hermite Polynomials, Skew Young Tableaux, and Borel Orbits (with Michael Joyce).
Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 119 (2012) 1798--1810.
- Bruhat-Chevalley Order on the Rook Monoid (with Lex Renner).
Turkish Journal of Math. no. 36 (2012), 499--519.
- Irreducible representations of semisimple algebraic groups and supersolvable lattices.
Journal of Algebra. 351 (2012), no. 1, 235--250.
- From Parking functions to Gelfand pairs (with K. Aker).
Proceedings of AMS. 140 (2012), 1113--1124.
- Generators of the Hecke algebra of (S_2n,B_n) (with K. Aker).
Advances in Math. 231 (2012), no. 5, 2465--2483.
- Broken Bracelets, Molien Series, Paraffin Wax and Elliptic Curve of Conductor 48 (with T. Amdeberhan and V.Moll).
SIAM J. on Discrete Math. 25(4) (2011), pp. 1843--1859.
- Partitions, rooks, and symmetric functions in noncommuting variables} (with Bruce Sagan).
Electronic J. Combinatorics 18 (2011), no. 2, Paper 3.
- R-polynomials of finite monoids of Lie type (with K. Aker and M. Taskin).
Internat. J. of Algebra and Computation, 20 (2010) no. 6, 793--805.
- H-polynomials and Rook Polynomials (with Lex Renner).
Internat. J. of Algebra and Computation 18 (2008), no. 5, 935--949.
- Nested Hilbert schemes and the nested q,t-Catalan series.
Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science Proceedings (2008) 61--70.
- A proof of the q,t-square conjecture (with N. Loehr).
Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 113 (2006), no. 7, 1419--1434.
Teaching and other duties
What am I doing this semester?
- Adoring my new born baby since September 26, 2016.
- Coordinating the graduate program.
- I am teaching 5 sections of Calculus 1210. The course syllabus is here: "syllabus".
My office hours are on Mondays 9 to 9:50 and on Wednesdays from 4 to 5pm.
- Recitation problems for week 1.
- Recitation problems for week 2.
- Recitation problems for week 3.
- Recitation problems for week 4.
- Recitation problems for week 5.
- Recitation problems for week 6.
- Recitation problems for week 7.
- Practice Midterm
- Recitation problems for week 8.
- Recitation problems for week 9.
- Recitation problems for week 10.
- Tim Twelbeck (graduated in 2013)
- Özlem Uğurlu (expected to graduate in 2018)
- Safak Özden (expected to graduate in 2019)
- Tien Li (expected to graduate in 2019)
- Aram Bingham (expected to graduate in 2020)
Conferences and meetings
2012 Fields Institute Other meetings