MAHİR BİLEN CAN
Email: mcan @ tulane.edu
6823 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70118
My current research interests include (but not restricted to) 14MXX, 14PXX, 17BXX, 20CXX, 20MXX, 57RXX, as well as 05XX. (See MSC2010 for descriptions of these fields.)
- Algebraic Monoids, Group Embeddings, and Algebraic Combinatorics. Fields Institute Communications, Vol 71 (jointly edited with Zhenheng Li, Benjamin Steinberg, Qiang Wang).
- Clifford Lectures on Algebraic Groups. To appear in Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics series of the AMS.
I post most but not all of my papers on https://arxiv.org.
- Combinatorial models for the variety of complete quadrics (with Soumya D. Banerjee and Michael Joyce). Here is the previous version: pdf. (I am keeping the older version here because it contains some algorithms that might be useful for some purpose.)
- An analogue of Springer fibers in certain wonderful compactifications (joint with Roger Howe and Michael Joyce).
To appear in Journal of Algebra and Its Applications.
- Monodromy of torus fibrations and decomposability problem (with Mustafa Topkara).
- Equivariant K-theory of smooth projective spherical varieties (with Soumya D. Banerjee).
- Complex G2 and associative grassmannian (with Selman Akbulut).
- Toroidal affine Nash groups.
Journal of Lie Theory 26 (2016), no. 4, 1069--1077.
- Wonderful symmetric varieties and Schubert polynomials (joint with Michael Joyce and Ben Wyser).
To appear in Ars Mathematica Contemporanea.
- A remarkable representation on file placements.
- Chains in weak order posets associated with involutions (with Michael Joyce and Ben Wyser).
Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series A 137 (2016), 207--225.
- Special embeddings of symmetric spaces and their Borel orbits (with Roger Howe and Lex Renner).
- Corrigendum to ''Generators of the Hecke algebra of (S_2n,B_n)'' (with Şafak Özden).
To appear in Advances in Mathematics.
- Divisors and specializations of Lucas polynomials (with Tewodros Amdeberhan and Melanie Jensen).
Journal of Combinatorics 6 (2015) no 1-2, 69--89
- Bruhat order on partial fixed point free involutions. (with Yonah Cherniavsky and Tim Twelbeck)
Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 21 (2014), no. 4, Paper 4.34, 23 pp.
- Branching through G2 (with Roger Howe)
Proceedings of the Gökova Geometry-Topology Conference 2013, 41--75, Gökova Geometry/Topology Conference (GGT), Gökova, 2014.
- Calculating Heegaard-Floer homology by counting lattice points in tetrahedra (with Çağrı Karakurt)
Acta Mathematica Hungarica 144 (2014), no. 1, 43--75.
- Lexicographic shellability of the Bruhat-Chevalley order on fixed point free involutions (with Yonah Cherniavsky and Tim Twelbeck)
Israel Journal of Mathematics 207 (2015) no. 1.281--299.
- Omitting Parentheses from the Cyclic Notation (with Yonah Cherniavsky)
Mediterranean Journal of Mathematics 12 (2015), no. 4, 1199--1214.
- Lexicographic shellability of partial involutions (with Tim Twelbeck)
Discrete Math. 335 (2014), 66--80.
- The Rook Monoid is Lexicographically Shellable. pdf
- SL_2-regular subvarieties of complete quadrics (with Michael Joyce)
Algebraic monoids, group embeddings, and algebraic combinatorics, 271--284, Fields Inst. Commun., 71, Springer, New York, 2014.
- Some plethystic identities and Kostka-Foulkes polynomials.
Ars Combinatoria 122 (2015), 411--421.
- Unipotent invariant matrices (with Roger Howe and Michael Joyce).
Linear Algebra and its Applications, 439 (2013), no.1, 196--210.
- Weak order on complete quadrics (with Michael Joyce)
Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 365 (2013), no. 12, 6269--6282.
- Ordered Bell Numbers, Hermite Polynomials, Skew Young Tableaux, and Borel Orbits (with Michael Joyce).
Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A 119 (2012) 1798--1810.
- Bruhat-Chevalley Order on the Rook Monoid (with Lex Renner).
Turkish Journal of Math. no. 36 (2012), 499--519.
- Irreducible representations of semisimple algebraic groups and supersolvable lattices.
Journal of Algebra. 351 (2012), no. 1, 235--250.
- From Parking functions to Gelfand pairs (with K. Aker).
Proceedings of AMS. 140 (2012), 1113--1124.
- Generators of the Hecke algebra of (S_2n,B_n) (with K. Aker).
Advances in Math. 231 (2012), no. 5, 2465--2483.
- Broken Bracelets, Molien Series, Paraffin Wax and Elliptic Curve of Conductor 48 (with T. Amdeberhan and V.Moll).
SIAM J. on Discrete Math. 25(4) (2011), pp. 1843--1859.
- Partitions, rooks, and symmetric functions in noncommuting variables} (with Bruce Sagan).
Electronic J. Combinatorics 18 (2011), no. 2, Paper 3.
- R-polynomials of finite monoids of Lie type (with K. Aker and M. Taskin).
Internat. J. of Algebra and Computation, 20 (2010) no. 6, 793--805.
- H-polynomials and Rook Polynomials (with Lex Renner).
Internat. J. of Algebra and Computation 18 (2008), no. 5, 935--949.
- Nested Hilbert schemes and the nested q,t-Catalan series.
Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science Proceedings (2008) 61--70.
- A proof of the q,t-square conjecture (with N. Loehr).
Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 113 (2006), no. 7, 1419--1434.
Teaching and other duties
What am I doing this semester?
- Adoring my new born baby since September 26, 2016.
- Coordinating the graduate program.
- I am teaching 5 sections of Calculus 1210. The course syllabus is here: "syllabus".
My office hours are on Mondays 9 to 9:50 and on Wednesdays from 4 to 5pm.
- Recitation problems for week 1.
- Recitation problems for week 2.
- Recitation problems for week 3.
- Recitation problems for week 4.
- Recitation problems for week 5.
- Recitation problems for week 6.
- Recitation problems for week 7.
- Practice Midterm
- Recitation problems for week 8.
- Recitation problems for week 9.
- Recitation problems for week 10.
- Recitation problems for week 11.
- Recitation problems for week 12.
- Practice Midterm
- Recitation problems for week 13.
- Practice Final Exam
- Tim Twelbeck (graduated in 2013)
- Özlem Uğurlu (expected to graduate in 2018)
- Şafak Özden (expected to graduate in 2019)
- Tien Li (expected to graduate in 2019)
- Aram Bingham (expected to graduate in 2020)
Conferences and meetings
2012 Fields Institute Other meetings